Easter, a time for family, friends, and food-galore!
While the timing of this spring celebration may not be ideal if you’re looking to trim down a little, in time for summer, it shouldn’t discourage you from devouring your long awaited Easter eggs (besides, you only get this indulgence once a year, right?).
Opting for our healthy hot cross buns will save you a tonne of calories along with a whole load of guilt. So give it and try and treat your friends and family to a light, nutritious, flavoursome treat this Easter.
260g wholemeal flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking powder
100ml low-fat milk (or non-cows milk alternative)
2 ½ tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
½ orange zest
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla extract
For the cross:
75g of plain flour
5 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 3.
- Mix the cinnamon, baking powder and ground ginger in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the milk, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla extract maple syrup, one egg and the orange zest in a bowl.
- Combine the two bowls of ingredients and fold gently until a sticky dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a couple of minutes on a floured surface and separate into 10 equal pieces. Roll them into round buns and place on the baking tray.
- Lightly brush whisked egg on the top of the buns. For the cross, mix the plain flour with 5 tbsp of water, add it one by one until it forms a thick paste.
- Add the paste into a piping bag and pipe on the buns in a cross shape.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through when tested with a knife.
- Enjoy hot out of the oven or toast a later date.
Have a happy Easter!