If you’re looking to be a bit more adventurous in the smoothie department then you’ve come to the right place! Adding both Chlorella and Spirulina to your morning shake will not only give your smoothie a gorgeous green glow, it will also supercharge the nutrient content giving you a whole host of health benefits!
Whilst you might already be familiar with Spirulina, also known as the most nutrient-dense superfoods in the world, but my guess is you’ve probably never heard of Chlorella before. So here’s a few reasons to give it a try…
Just ONE tsp, chlorella contains:
- Chlorophyll – 258mg
- Protein – 5.9g
- Vitamin D – 1500%*
- Vitamin B12 – 240%
- Manganese – 21.2%
- Iron – 72.4%
- Iodine – 66.7%
- Zinc 133%
*Reference intake of an average adult (2000kcal).
The Benefits of Chlorella:
- Helps lower blood pressure.
- Detoxes the body of metal ions and toxins.
- Aids growth and maintenance of muscle mass.
- Supports the immune system.
- Increases weight loss (by the activation of insulin signalling pathways).
- Boosts the health of your skin to give it a nice healthy glow.
- Helps lower blood sugar levels.
Now you know how fantastic Chlorella will make you feel both inside and out, here’s how to make our deliciously refreshing super green, Chlorella detox smoothie:
- 1 tsp Chlorella
- 1tsp Spirulina
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 240ml Almond Milk
- 175g Fresh Coconut
- A handful of Curly Kale
- A handful of Mint
- 1 medium-sized frozen banana
- 2 handfuls of ice cubes
How To Make
- Combine all the ingredients (except chia seeds) in the blender and mix for 60 seconds.
- Pour into a cup and add the chia seeds, mix with a spoon.
- Enjoy as a refreshing summer detox breakfast!
For more delicious, nutritious recipes, head to the recipe section on our health zone.
Plus, stock up on your superfoods this weekend with 25% off in our Summer sale!