Did you know the complete digestive process usually takes about 24 to 72 hours?
If you feel bloated after a meal, it is worth bearing in mind it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and,finally, elimination of undigested food.
However by ensuring you have the correct blend of macronutrients, protein, carbohydrates and fats in your diet can provide your body with the enzymes your body needs to improve the digestive process.
5 tips to improve your digestion
- Chewing food – this may seem obvious however but by not chewing your food properly this causes food not to be fragmented and incomplete digestion occurs. The digestive process begins in the mouth and by chewing relaxes the stomach muscles and releases nutrients.
- Mindful eating – it is important at meal times we are focused on our food and not distracted by television, driving, or talking on the telephone, as you won’t be giving your food or your body’s signals your full attention. As a result, you may feel full but not satisfied this can then lead to over eating and creating a bloated uncomfortable feeling.
- Good gut bacteria – introducing good bacteria in your diet can aid in the digestive process and probiotics can help balance the pH of the intestinal tract. These probiotics can be found in foods such as yoghurt, sour cream, apples and cottage cheese.
- Food intolerances – it is often worth doing a food intolerance test to find out if you suffer from any intolerance to certain ingredients as this can cause symptoms such as nausea, bloating, abdominal pain and diarrhoea.
- Digestive enzymes – taking digestive enzymes help to provide your body with additional enzymes it needs to break down food and absorb the vital macronutrients.
What are enzymes?
Our body produces enzymes and are proteins that run all of your cells, organs, bones, muscles and tissues. The digestive system pours enzymes in, where they act on food to break it down into molecules that are small enough to be absorbed.
As we age, the pancreas does tend to make fewer enzymes. As a result of the body not creating enough enzymes it can make it difficult to digest certain foods.
By taking digestive supplements such as complete digestion it can provide your digestive system with the correct blend of ingredients to help your body break down the valuable macronutrients protein, carbohydrates and fats.
Think you suffer from digestion issues then buy our complete digestion to help beat the bloat!
MayoClinic.com; Digestion: How Long Does It Take; Dr.Michael F. Picco; August 2010
Allergy UK report (2007), ‘Stolen Lives 3, The FoodAllergy and Food Intolerance Report’.
EnzymeStuff: The Incredible, Amazing, Most Wonderful Seven Step Guide to Comparingand Buying Enzyme Products